Self-tanning products can be a lifesaver when you need a quick fix for pale skin. It saves you the trouble of sitting in the sun for hours, only to damage your skin and land up looking like a lobster.
Self-tanning products allow you to achieve an even and perfect looking tan if applied correctly. However, there are some obstacles that stand in the way of achieving that perfect-looking sunless tan.
For men, one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when self-tanning is their legs. Hair can get in the way of applying self-tanner, leaving it looking patchy and orange, which is a look nobody sets out to achieve.
In most cases, men looking to self-tan their legs need to choose the right product and follow the correct preparation and procedure to get perfectly tanned legs.
5 Best Self-Tanners for Men’s Legs
Here are some of the best products for men to try, when applying self-tanner to their legs.
The xTanner Self-Tanning Lotion was made for men. The formulation of the product takes into consideration that men have thicker skin than women, and usually more hair as well. The unique formula allows for men’s skin to hold a tan, and look great as well.
It allows for a natural-looking tan, but still gives that summer glow that everyone wants. The tan develops overnight and can last as long as 2 weeks. What is great about this product is that it allows you to build your tan, so you can go from pale to medium, and then darken the tan further if you want. This also makes it easy to maintain your tan, just by reapplying and touching-up wherever it is needed.
xTanner does not contain any bronzer, which helps avoid the self-tan looking fake or orange. It is made from a 99% natural formula, with most of the ingredients being organic. It is gentle on the skin, but still does a great job at leaving behind a natural looking, summer-kissed tan.
This is a great product to use if you have a tougher time achieving an even tan on your legs, as it was made and formulated to work perfectly on the more masculine of skin.
SunLabs is a trusted name within the self-tanning industry, and you really can’t go wrong when using one of their products.
Their overnight self-tanning lotion is made with a blend of natural ingredients, all paraben-free. It is soft and smooth on the skin, nourishing it as it develops a sunless tan. They believe that only healthy skin looks great with a tan, so their product takes care of both sides for you, giving your skin a flawless look.
The self-tanning lotion is easy to apply and will leave you free of streaks or orange blotches. After the initial application, the self-tanning lotion takes 8 hours to develop, which allows the tan to develop to the intensity that you desire.
It can be used by both women and men, but works well, especially in the trickier areas of the body such as the legs. It can be used all over the body for a natural looking sunless tan.
St. Tropez is another brand that is trusted widely in the self-tanning community. Their products have been tried and tested time and time again, and have always been a great and reliable choice.
The bronzing mousse is super-lightweight and really easy to apply. It has a velvety feel and will leave you with an even tan all over. You are able to choose the intensity of the tan you want, by choosing when to shower and wash the product off.
- Light tan – 1-hour development
- Medium – 2-hour development
- Dark – 3-hour development
The mousse has no smell, which helps you avoid that unwanted self-tanning scent. It is quick drying and transfer-resistant, so there should be no residual staining left on linen or clothes.
As well as giving you a well-rounded, even looking tan, the mousse also hydrates skin, leaving it looking fresh and nourished, highlighting the tan.
The Fox Tan Self-Tanning Lotion is a unique formula that builds your tan when you are indoors and outdoors.
The elixir in the form of a lotion is used as a daily moisturizer. It boosts melanin production in the skin. It can be used leading up to spending time in the sun or used to build a tan as well. The elixir creates a golden base tan on your skin, even if you don’t manage to spend time in the sun. The mist spray boosts the look of the tan that enhances the natural glow even further.
The FoxComplex contained in the elixir is an active amino acid that helps to stimulate rapid melanin production. This helps you develop a tan quicker, even with minimal time in the sun.
Not only will the Fox Tan Self-Tanning Lotion help you gradually achieve an amazing tan, but it is a great moisturizer as well. It is made from almond oil, aloe vera, jojoba, olive oil and cocoa butter, everything your skin needs to look and feel nourished.
The Fox Tan products are really versatile and allow you to be in control of your tan.
5. Caribbean Tan – Tan in a Can B
This mist self-tanner is long lasting and easy to apply. The Tan in a Can mist is a fine tinted mist that instantly bronzes the skin, while the active ingredients take around 6-8 hours to develop the skin to a sun-kissed tan.
The aerosol function of the self-tanner makes it easy to apply to all areas on the body, and allows for an even and easy application, with the product drying in 8 minutes, leaving no streaks or blotches behind.
The sunless mist tanner is made with the best natural ingredients and is cruelty and paraben free. The eco-certified DHA is made from sugar beet, so it is completely natural. The DHA and Erythrulose work together to create a long lasting tan that fades evenly and looks completely natural as well.
How To Apply Self-Tanner to Legs (Guide for Men)
There are different ways to apply self-tanner to different areas of the body. For men, legs are one of the trickier areas. In order to ensure a smooth and even application, follows these steps:
1. Choose your product – Once you have done your research, you should be able to decide on a product that is right for you. Take note of the areas you want to tan, the intensity of the tan you want, and your skin type. All these play a role in the self-tanning product you use.
2. Shave – You will have a really funky looking tan if you do not shave your legs prior to the self-tanner application. Shave or wax your legs the day before the application, removing all the hair, but still allowing your skin to rehydrate.
3. Exfoliate – Exfoliation is key to ensuring an even tan. Once you have shaved your legs, exfoliate in the bath or shower that evening. Exfoliating removes all the dead skin cells that might cause a build-up of product and therefore darker patches of tan.
4. Moisturize – Moisturizing the day before your self-tanning application is important. It hydrates your skin and gives it everything it needs to be able to hold a tan and look healthy while doing so.
5. Application – You need to ensure that you have an even, blotch-free tan. Work your way from your feet up, moving your hands in a circular motion in order to get all areas covered evenly. When it comes to your feet, try not over-do the lotion on your toes or sides of your feet. This will land up looking unnatural and just weird.
6. Do not overdo it – Especially if it is your first time, you might be more tempted to apply more product to your legs to get an instant tan. This is not a good idea. Follow the guidelines carefully, follow the development times and you won’t land up with a completely orange tan!
7. Maintenance – Keep your skin hydrated after your self-tanner application. Moisturize daily and try to stay out of the sun. Healthy and nourished skin maintains a self-tan much longer, and it will only enhance the sun-kissed tan look.
Self-Tanner for Men’s Legs
Applying self-tanner to your legs can be tricky, especially if you are a man! Hair and other bits and bobs get in the way, and can often cause a blotchy and streaky tan. Rather follow proper preparations, choose the right products and perform a proper application and you will be really happy with the results.
There really is no reason to walk around pale and morose, instead, get your hands on one of the great self-tanning products on this list and give yourself that amazing summer glow that you would usually have to work so hard to achieve!